Substitute runners

The rules will be a little more relaxed in this forum. Please try to use good judgement when talking about other people.
Gannettguy
Substitute runners

Post by Gannettguy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 pm

I recommend the games could be significantly speeded up if a substitute runner rule could be imposed.

The ability to speed up all games could be accomplished by requiring a substitute runner to be coaching 1st base for every batter. This would require coordination by the teams ahead of needing one thereby speeding the play considerably. By constantly changing the first base coach to be one that would not negetavly impact the lineup weather they are expecting to need a runner, or by being immediately available upon a runner on any base who experiences the need for a runner.

Everyone complains about the games going long. Why don’t we do something about it.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Substitute runners

Post by admin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm

One thing I have seen Tiger, the longtime coach of the Mavericks, do is to assign runners for those who need them, based on where they fit in the lineup. I've got a torn medial meniscus in my left knee, so if I get a hit, there is a runner who automatically knows he has to be ready to run for me, even if he's not coaching 1st. I know on my team, Florida Creative (50's), we try to put guys who can run as 1st base coaches already. It's a good idea!